1. With respect to global connections, association with _______ offers the brightest immediate future for
many African countries.
B. the European Union.
D. the United States.
2. Slum areas called shantytowns occur in _________ major African cities, housing over _________
percent of urban populations.
A. five major; 50
B. all; 70
C. some; 40
D. nearly all; 60
4. As of 2008, the population of Australia was 21.3 million, and the population of New Zealand was closer
to ________ million.
17. When the Australian economy was based on import-substitution manufacturing,
A. protectionist policies were emphasized.
B. domestic manufacturing was discouraged.
C. expansionist policies were emphasized.
D. domestic production assured national prosperity
19. Sudan is omitted from inclusion in the sub-Saharan region because it
A. is linked to Egypt by the Nile.
End of exam
B. doesn’t border the Sahara Desert.
C. contains most of the evidence of humanity’s African origins.
D. is politically distinct from other regional countries.
20. When Australia became the federated Commonwealth of Australia in 1901, Sydney and Melbourne
competed to be the capital city. A compromise was reached and _______ became the federal capital in