Focus on Case Studies in Neurology
For this assignment you will respond to three case studies.
What is a Case Study?
â€œA case study is a narrative used to help you practice real-life analysis and communication skills. It is a learning tool that provides readers with â€œenough detailâ€¦to understand the nature and scope of the problem, andâ€¦serve as a springboard for discussion and learningâ€ (Oâ€™Rourke, 2007, p. 391).
Use your textbook and academic resources from the Kaplan Library to support your responses.
Access the Kaplan Library directly from Course Resources for this class, or through the student portal. Be sure to cite and reference all your sources. The Kaplan Library has a feature that allows you to automatically create an APA formatted reference.
Your completed case study should be between 750â€“1000 words, and all sources must be properly cited using APA format.
- Amy is cooking dinner for her family. She moves to pull a pot off the stove and accidently touches the burner. She reflexively pulls her finger away from the stove and immediately feels the pain.
- Which receptor neuron is responsible for sending information from her finger to her peripheral nervous system?
- Is this receptor neuron, an afferent or efferent neuron?
- Explain where the information from the receptor neuron is sent and how does it result in Amy moving her finger away from the stove.
- How many neurons are typically involved in this response? What are the names of these neurons?
- Evolutionarily, why do you think the human body has this system in place?
- What might happen if we did not have this response?
- Glen, who is 45 years old, begins to notice that his hands shake (tremors) when he is performing everyday tasks such as signing his signature. His family members have noticed that he also has muffled speech and tends to shuffle when he walks. He is diagnosed with Early Onset Parkinsonâ€™s disease.
- What is Early Onset Parkinsonâ€™s disease?
- What specific cell type is affected in Parkinsonâ€™s disease?
- What is dopamine? What effects does dopamine have on the body?
- Explain the structure of a synapse and why Glenâ€™s neurologist would prescribe him a dopamine agonist?
- Glen has genetic testing performed and it is determined that he does carry an autosomal dominant mutation in the SNCA gene associated with Early Onset Parkinsonâ€™s disease. Glen has three children. Would you advise his children to have genetic testing performed to determine if they also carry the disease mutation? Why or why not?
- Patricia, who is 37 years old, discusses with her physician recent symptoms that she has experienced including blurred vision, numbness in her fingers and face, dizziness, fatigue and weakness. The physician performs multiple neurological tests and she is diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS).
- What is MS?
- Is MS a disease of the central or peripheral nervous system?
- What is the main cell structure affected in MS?
- How is the action potential of a neuron affected in MS?
- The origins of MS are not clear. What do scientists hypothesize to be the causes of MS?
Your assignment should be written in an essay format. The assignment requires you to include details from research including the course materials and sources you locate on your own. Remember to use APA format to cite your sources of information, both within parenthetical citations and also within a reference page at the end of the project.
Basic Writing Requirements:
- Between 750â€“1000 words not counting the title or reference pages.
- Include a title page, double space, font size 10 or 12.
- Include a well-developed introduction and conclusion
- Provide exceptional content.
- Demonstrate superior organization: use logic.
- Free of grammar and spelling errors.
- No evidence of plagiarism.
- Use the APA style for all citations.
Submitting Your Assignment
Save your copy of the assignment in a location and with a name that you will remember. Be sure to use the “Save As” option to include your first and last name in the title of the document. For example, your assignment might be called Shawn_Edwards_Assignment6.doc.
When you are ready, submit your work via the Dropbox.
Oâ€™Rourke, James S. (2007). Management communication: A case-analysis approach. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall.
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code "Newclient" for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.